Sunday, November 9, 2014

Confessions of a Choco-holic

Chocolate has always been for there for me. No matter how bad I am feeling, no matter where I am, no matter when I crave it, it is always easily accessible. Chocolate never puts me on hold or doesn’t respond to my messages. Chocolate helps me get through the things I need to by reassuring me I can do it. Chocolate instantly makes me feel better and more relaxed. All of this has led me to personally live by the expression: “A little chocolate a day keeps the doctor away.”


Ever since I can remember, there has always been a chocolate stash in the top of my family’s refrigerator. It wasn’t until I was tall enough to reach it that I started taking advantage of it. What began as my dad’s secret stash quickly turned into a communal chocolate stockpile. My dad usually eats a piece (or two) of chocolate after dinner every night. I began to see the enjoyment in this. After eating a usually salty dinner, a sweet smidgen of chocolate adds so much to the experience. You should try it!

So of course, my fridge at college also has a chocolate stash. I honestly do believe in my previously mentioned mantra for multiple reasons. Upon writing this post, I decided to look into if chocolate can have some health benefits, contrary to popular belief. It turns out that my favorite type of chocolate, dark chocolate, has several health advantages that I was unaware of. Dark chocolate containing 75-80% cacao can be rich in minerals such as Iron and Potassium, and also contain quite a bit of fiber as well. It has many antioxidants and can mildly lower blood pressure and the risk of heart disease.


Although I have just shown some health benefits of dark chocolate specifically, I want to emphasize that chocolate is also good for the soul. If a piece of chocolate is what it takes to make it through a hard day, then do it! I have used it as a calming device and it often makes me feel better. So I would say some chocolate a day does keep the doctor away in a mental sense—  it can help a person continue to be positive or keep on working when it is hard to. While nothing in large amounts is good for you, I think I am going to keep eating my little piece of chocolate a day and not think twice about it. :)



An adorable chocolate lover 




2 comments:

  1. watch my facebook feed for pictures of the truffle making process. I am listed under Stephen Benson, if you don't get it, send me a friend request and I will accept. going to be making dark peppermint, and Mexicali Spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, to taste like Ibarra chocolate)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely do that- thank you so much! That sounds delicious!

      Delete