Monday, November 17, 2014

Blogging Noob turned Blogger

Before taking this class, blogging was never a part of my life. I was never into the tumblr or reddit scene, and can attest to never reading a blog before this class. So little old me comes into this class excited and is exposed to the world of blogging. When I was younger, I used to write in my journals a lot, and slowly fell out of it as my time became more strained. So having a blog to me is like a more public diary. It has given me an outlet for my ideas and views.

Blogging is an art. In college, we are used to writing pages upon pages on a topic that might not interest us. Try keeping ideas that are interesting to you between 250-500 words. That is hard. In blogging, I have to assume the audience has no reason to read my blog, so I must draw them in with an interesting title or personal story. Whereas in academic writing, my professor is guaranteed to read my essay, and I know he/she is the audience. Who is my audience in blogging? I don’t know! People could just stumble along my blog by accident.

Amanda Quick, a tech journalist for "Tech Cocktail," entrepreneur of “The Next Zuck” and graduate student at the iSchool of Syracuse University, visited our class this week. Her advice to us was: “Learn everything.” Amanda studied Broadcast & Digital Journalism, which helped her launch her project “The Next Zuck,” which is a website that highlights and interviews young entrepreneurs in all different colleges around the U.S. She started this because she found that entrepreneurs on college campuses had difficulty publicizing their ideas beyond college campuses. However, to start up this project, she needed financial, marketing, and business skills, in addition to technology skills. Her advice to learn everything really applies to her success because she did not only stick to communication skills; she drew from other places as well. And now she is learning more in-depth information technology skills through her Master’s Program.

Amanda’s advice to “learn everything” is precisely one of the reasons I took this course. I wanted to understand how to blog. I thought not only did it sound fun, but it also sounded like a skill that may be useful someday. This skill may be more so useful for a communications major*, but my thought process was that maybe it will come in handy someday. Through the other guests we have met, I have learned even more than I could have imagined, such as disability rights from Professor Bill Peace, a blog providing a safe place for people to express themselves from Melissa McEwan, and about the facts surrounding the John F. Kennedy assassination from Martin J. Kelly. These are people who not only expanded my mind about course-related information, but also made me draw conclusions about our society and what makes humans act certain ways.

*I am studying International Relations and Policy Studies, with a minor in Management



One of the things I am the most proud of in this blog is, quite honestly, that I was able to make one. I am not a very techy person at all and just being able to choose a format I like with a color scheme and everything is something I consider the biggest win of all. Another thing I have realized is that I am very into personalizing my writing. I like to connect what I am writing about, no matter what it is, to something in my life, so I usually begin with a story of some kind. I think this helps me relate to the piece I am writing and I like to think it makes my writing a little more engaging.

I like to think that I will continue my blog after this class. As I mentioned before, I love using it as an outlet to release my thoughts in an organized way. Sometimes I am inspired to write about something, so I will quickly write it on a Post-It so I don’t forget it, and I feel so excited when I get around to actually writing about it. Two of my favorite posts to date have been “Why I Strive to be like Phoebe Buffay from Friends,” and “Married at Age 5: TheLife of a Child Bride,” for very different reasons. For the first one, the inspiration for this struck me and I felt so strongly about writing it, especially when a few other classmates also wrote Friends-related posts. The latter post is one of my favorites because it really came full circle to me— I wrote about the topic of child brides in Southeast Asia in one of my college essays and had not discussed it in awhile, so being able to share this eye-opening issue with others was a privilege for me.

This blog has definitely been a journey for me and I am very grateful that I have been exposed to the world of blogging, previously unknown territory for me. This makes me realize how right Amanda was— having experience in other territories outside of your field of study is useful and may help you in the future. I guess we will see where this takes me.





No comments:

Post a Comment