Friday, October 31, 2014

The Ever-Spinning Globe

An upper view of the Heroy Geology Building lobby featuring my favorite globe
Photo Credits: The Daily Orange

I am sitting in the atrium of Heroy Geology Building, just staring at the ginormous globe that spins over the entranceway. It keeps spinning around and around and never ceases, just as our world does. Although this building mainly holds science classes, my Intro to International Relations course was taught in this very building, and has been, as my professor stated, for 14 years. So to most entering the building, the Earth spinning above might have had some sustainability or science context, whereas every time I looked up at it, I saw international relations. I saw different countries interacting, trading, warring, and more. This globe symbolized to me what I wanted to do, even though this figure is in the context of an earth science building.

Many a time did I sit here my first semester of college reviewing for International Relations quizzes, looking over my notes frantically as I saw other members of my class doing the same in different parts of this lobby. I can see it as if it was yesterday. The globe was spinning then too.

Right now, on a Thursday evening, there is no one but myself in the lobby. The globe spinning is so much louder than I recall. It is roaring like a plane engine. It is not usually heard this prominently during the bustle of the day. The comfy chairs in the corner are unoccupied for once. There are only four, and sometimes I would close my eyes before class while sitting there to recharge. It is a victory if you can snag one of those. If not, you had to sit on one of the benches I am sitting on right now, with weird slates on them. I have a better view of the globe this way though, which truly is a mesmerizing sight.

I never noticed before the texture of the floor. The tiles look imprinted and very earthy. It looks like a plant got fossilized in these tiles many years ago. It looks intriguing and very whimsical. The tiles themselves look cool and are a shade of black that does not look uninviting, but creates an edgy vibe.

There are also displays in the lobby that are unnoticed by the general masses. There are a few cases of rocks and some fossil displays near the windows. They are tucked away in another corner, out of the line of traffic. Only if you really look or spend some time in there do you notice them. I remember glancing at the displays once and not understanding any of the words written on the labels.

One of the things I love is that the whole lobby is window walls, almost as if it is encased in. I can see the Dome, Crouse, Maxwell, Hendricks, the old law building, and more from this one lobby. This also allows for natural light. I remember when I had a different class here at night, this was always a wake-up call for how dark it became in just the span of 55 minutes. I was able to see the days getting shorter just by how every class, it was darker and darker afterwards.



Upon looking more closely at the globe, I notice it is not like a normal globe. There are no inscriptions of cities or country boundaries. This is purely a scientific globe, including clouds, topographical sights, and latitudinal and longitudinal lines. Hmm, I have never noticed that before. I wonder how many have.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this! I had a class in this building my very first semester of college, too, and would be mesmerized at the entrance by the spinning globe. Also, your attention to such intricate detail of the building is admirable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! The globe truly is a sight! It is amazing what you notice even just in five minutes

      Delete