Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pictures: An Extension of Memory

In one of my previous posts, “We’re the Kids of the Future?” I strongly dismissed Generation Y’s (aka MY generation) dependence on technology and social media. I also discussed how out-of-touch this generation is with reality and human interactions. Looking back, I may have been a little too harsh on this issue, but I have recently seen some of the good in this installment in society.

Last week, I was scrolling through Facebook on a study break when I had this urge to look through pictures from my previously-mentioned trip to Turkey and Venice. Luckily for me, I had posted over 300 pictures from my trip on Facebook! As I was looking through the pictures from Venice specifically, I couldn’t help but notice how beautiful these pictures were. The sky and water looked so blue in every picture, and this coupled with the vibrant buildings and gondolas made for incredibly pleasing photos. And to think that I had just snapped these with my phone as we wandered around!

Just beautiful

Look at that sky

I even found pictures that truly captured the scene in Venice, such as the dozens of people and pigeons gathered in Saint Mark’s Square, the magnificent bridges connecting the city, and the regal buildings on every corner. I have to admit, after coming off of Istanbul— the most amazing and cultured city I have ever been in— the more commercial and touristy Venice almost paled in comparison. But looking back at these pictures, I had a huge appreciation for the beauty of the city and couldn’t believe how lucky I was to experience this. I felt so happy and warm inside as I recounted these wonderful memories of summer that I even sent a picture to my mom (who accompanied me on the trip) so she would be reminded as well.

St. Mark's Square in its glory
  

Rialto Bridge

Although it is annoying to see people take pictures of everything, in this moment I was  overjoyed to have such easy access to these pictures. They triggered fond memories from the trip as pictures often do. I am not in agreement with documenting every moment of life, because that is what your brain is for, but it is very nice to have reminders of the memory so the experience can be recalled so vividly.     So take pictures and record history, but don’t let it get in the way of living.

All photos taken by yours truly



No comments:

Post a Comment